Tuesday, June 5, 2012

The Preggo Walk of Shame

I love a good story. 
I love to listen to it, to tell it, to read it, and most of all...to live it!
I thought I was going to have one of those yesterday.
Turns out I do have a story...it just wasn't a fun one to live.

On Sunday morning as we drove to church I was hit by a bus of hormones.  I don't know where they came from, but all of a sudden this giant wave of emotions hit me.  I became extremely sleepy at first.  Then when we got to church I sat down at my seat and people kept coming up to me.  I know this is normal for people to come by and say hi, but I felt like the entire planet was standing in front of me.  This made me extremely hot.  I could not fan myself fast enough...which caused people to stare at me like I was in a zoo.  Feeling like a monkey in a zoo, I teared up because of embarrassment.  I think this was the sign that people should get away because this preggo was about to blow!  Thankfully everyone left me alone at this point. 
A little while later the hormone ocean subsided and I was able to enjoy church.
But the rest of the day I felt "off".  I couldn't put my finger on it.  I just flat-out did not feel well.

At 1:30am it started.
I woke up with some contractions but thought, "no biggy" and rolled over to go back to sleep.  Sleep would not come, but the contractions sure did!  They were every 15 minutes or so. 
After feeling them for an hour and a half I decided I'd better pack. 
Don't judge me!
I know I'm 37 weeks and should have been packed already...but I wasn't.
So I woke Tim up and told him we should pack.
He looked at me like I was crazy because it was 2:45am and I was finally ready to pack.  Then he realized what I was saying and he shot out of the bed with excitement.
I told him I didn't know if I was in labor but I was having consistent contractions.
At 3:30 I made the decision to call the doctor.  She told me I shouldn't mess with baby number 3 and that I should get to the hospital to be monitored.
This was it!
I just knew it!
I was going to have my baby on June 4!!!  What a great sounding day!
We proceeded to take our time because my contractions were still far apart and by 5am we were at the hospital being admitted.
It was so exciting! 
Then it stopped. 
There is no way to describe it, but the contractions just completly stopped.  The nausea went away and I felt completely normal.
About 2 hours later the doctor came in and said, "I'm sorry Brittney, but we have to send you home."
I was devastated. 
I just knew that it was baby-time...and it wasn't. 
With my diaper bag in one hand and Tim's hand in the other I made the long preggo walk of shame.
I walked out of the room with tears in my eyes and we headed home.

I know that he's coming. 
Whether he wants to or not he will have to make his entrance into the world pretty soon.
It was just hard to go through the motions and not walk away with my baby.

At least I have another story to tell.  =)


  1. Great story, Brittney! I'd say better safe than sorry. If you'd decided not to go to the hospital, you might be writing about Ezra's arriving at home or in the car.

  2. We had a similar situations this time around. On our due date I had twelve hours of consistent contractions. Our midwife even made the 1.5 hour drive to our house. And, then everything stopped. I felt terrible. Baby came 4 days later. This has just brought you one step closer to meeting your little guy. :)