Sunday, November 7, 2010

To Ignore...or not to ignore

Today I was smacked in the face with the realization that I treat my kids differently!
Ahhhhhhh!!!!!

We were visiting with Tim's family today and having a great time.  The kids were laughing and playing.  All was well.  I noticed that Graham was playing with a glass block figurine, but didn't think much of it...or chose to ignore it...I'm not sure.  As I was talking I heard a loud banging sound on their glass coffee table.  I glanced over but didn't think much of it...or chose to ignore it...I'm not sure.  A few seconds later I heard an even louder banging sound on the glass table and realized that yes I was choosing to ignore the problem, and yes he was about to shatter two different things.  Instead of leaping to the rescue and snatching it out of his hands I said, "Oh, that's just Graham," and went back to my conversation.
WHAT!!!!
Was my conversation that important!!!!
Apparently it was because again...I chose to ignore him.
Then, having realized what I just did, I said, "if that would have been Lilly I would have snatched her up and away so quickly her head would've spun!"
WHAT!!!!
Am I really treating my kids that differently? 
I can't seem to figure out if it's a second kid thing, or a boy/girl thing? 
I really need to give this some thought...or I could choose to ignore it.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's both a second child and a boy thing. I think it's starting to happen here too.

    ReplyDelete